Sunday, March 22, 2015

Seung Hyun Kang/How I Work/Tues. 5-6

During weekends, many people search for something relaxing to do. They sometimes go out for a walk or make an appointment with their colleagues. To most of the people, weekend is a red day; holiday. For me, it used to be a red day until November, 2014. Luckily but unfortunately, I got a part-time job in a restaurant. What I do there from five to ten p.m. at Saturdays and Sundays is far from taking a rest. I work. I do hall serving, cleaning and closing the restaurant.

           I start working at five, but having to arrive at the place earlier than that to get prepared, I leave home around 4:30. It is so lucky of me to get a job close to my place. If my workplace was as far as my school, I would have been spending my whole week working along with studying. As I arrive around 4:50, I quickly change my cloth, tie my hair, and start hall service. Hall serving is sometimes hard, but usually not hard. All I have to do is receive orders from the customers and deliver dishes to them. I sometimes have to clean up shattered dishes and cups or deliver something else than an order; complain. Around seven o' clock, the number of customers decrease and this is when I start cleaning the hall which is restaurant itself.

           Although it is called as a restaurant, the place is not that big. It is part of a huge shopping mall and there are several other shop owners on the sides of the hallway. Therefore, I am the only part-time worker in the restaurant, which means that I have to clean up everything. Around seven, when there is no customer in the hall, I sweep the place clean. I sweep bits of grains, bread crusts, parts of meatballs and everything else. Next, I start doing the dishes. It is a restaurant cooking foreign meal. Accordingly, dishes and tableware are covered with chili sauce and meat oil. So to make them clean, I wash leftovers away and put the dishes, forks, knives and cups into the dish washer to sterilize them with hot water. Around eight, I move on to clean coffee machine. I turn off the power and disassemble the machine (partly) and carefully rake coffee stains off from the machine. I also break up soda machine, bubble them once and corks of the machine go straight into the washer. Around nine, I mop the hall and wash the mop as white as possible with detergent. Finally, I drain water from the washer. Since there are oil stains in the washer, I have to rub them out with a sponge. It is 9:30, I am ready to close the door.

           I go up to the counter. I open the cashier machine and calculate the bills and check if the cash is equal to the account paper. As I said, it is a small restaurant in the huge shopping mall, I have to put the cash into the machine that the mall owns. After entering the restaurant ID and pass into the machine in the end of the hallway, I can settle the cash and come back to the restaurant. When it is near 10, I lower the line for the drape that forbids people from coming into the restaurant. When it becomes 10 o' clock, I can go home.

           It has been almost six months from when I started working at the restaurant. The pay is not high compared to what I do. So, I sometimes thought of quitting the job due to the physical stress. However, the owner of the market is so kind and she treats her workers with care. I could not quit just because the wage is not high and I am tired a bit. I have been using the wage to pay for the language academy during winter vacation. As I have no plans to attend the academy during semester, I'll be working for extra allowance. With the money I earned, I want to take a trip or keep it for my future.

 

2 comments:

  1. Lee Dong hyun
    Your essay had a clear thesis. Although your essay was divided into time period, it also was divided into specific working duties and it was easy for me to follow the essay. However to better structure the essay, it would be better to state the main duty at the front of the each body paragraph. Overall, the essay was a logically written process-analysis essay. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edward Yom
    201303872

    1. Does the essay have a thesis statement that identifies the process? If so, underline the thesis statement.

    I work. I do hall serving, cleaning and closing the restaurant.

    2. Does the writer include background information? If so, summarize the information here.

    The writer started work in November, 2014. And the writer works from five to ten p.m. at Saturdays and Sundays, and it is hard work.

    3. Does each paragraph present a different part of the process?

    Yes.

    4. Are the parts of the process organized in a logical sentence? List the sequence here

    Next, Finally, After

    5. Do the body paragraphs have any facts, definitions, or details? Tell the writer if any of these supporting details aren’t sufficient.

    Yes, the body paragraphs contain details.

    6. Does the writer include an evaluation, recommendation, or warning in the conclusion? Yes, the writer includes an evaluation.

    ReplyDelete