Monday, March 9, 2015

Darina Yerezhepova/About Me/Tuesday 1 p.m.

Hi everyone! My name is Darina. I am from Kazakhstan. As you know Kazakhstan was a part of Soviet Union from 1936 to 1991. Therefore, Russian is widely spoken to this days. I was born in the village where an overwhelming majority of the population was Kazakhs. Until we moved from there to town, the only language I could speak was Kazakh. I faced big difficulties in the new place because no one in the neighborhood could understand me. Although I was too small I realized that something wrong was happening every time I asked something or offered to play etc. I asked my mother to teach me Russian. Children can learn language in the verbal environment in extremely short time and I learned Russian only in a month by staring at the TV and talking to my parents, but the flip side of the coin was that I completely forgot my mother language. I also learned English in the kindergarten, and I guess my 4-year old brain was ready to explode because of trying to deal with three totally different languages at the same time . But it did not happened, instead of this I had got a really bad stammer. Considering that I was fond of chattering endlessly my speech sounded horrible. The first time my mother scolded me, she thought I was joking, but when she saw I was taking my dad aside and talking to him silently,  she realized how serious the problem was. Three months later I stopped stuttering, I do not know how and why , but it happened after some magical manipulation of my mom, it is a long story, which will cause a lot of controversy, so I am leaving it  for later. Thank you for your attention, comments and questions are always welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Learning three languages at the same time? It must have been a lot of pressure on a young girl...
    I think you have a very nice mother. I read that fixing a child's habit requires constant care than scolding. She must have cared for you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know more about the magic.
    JBH

    ReplyDelete