Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Gaeyon Lee/Three Keys to My Successful Career Path

Three Keys to My Successful Career Path

 

             It was always language that intrigued me the most throughout my school years. Then it was Computational Linguistics chapter in 'Introduction to English Linguistics' course in the first semester at university. After changing my dream job like a hundred times, I think I finally found something really meaningful, to work at one of the IT (Information Technology) companies as a Computational Linguist. To become one, knowledge of both computer and language, problem solving skills and creativity to make a new device are crucial.

            First key to my successful career path is knowledge of both computer and language. Computer Engineering Department in my school provides courses such as Discrete Mathematics and Programming Language which are all necessary studies for a Computational Linguist. And in English Linguistics Department, there are courses such as Phonetics and Pragmatics which are all crucial for the profession as well. As I took the basic introduction courses whether if they are literature or interpretation courses when I was a freshman last year, I should more focus on linguistics courses.

             Also, problem solving skill is important property for the job. Debugging and making a program more refined are primary jobs of a Computational Linguist. Problem solving skill is closely related to mathematics and it was one of my favorite subjects throughout my school years. However, Computer Engineering Department in my school does not provide mathematics course. Instead, it provides various kinds of computer language courses and constant practice of arranging a program in those courses can also be a great help when developing problem solving skills.

             Lastly, creativity is also one of the crucial properties of Computational Linguist. After carefully indentified bugs in a program, linguists should come up with a device or program that includes new features and fits consumer's needs. It's hard to say that there are definite ways to develop creativity. I believe creativity comes with a constant practice as in the third paragraph. It is helpful to practice the examples in the programming book and make one's own program. Also, paying attention to the consumer's current needs is also necessary part in creating a practical program.

             I found my dream of becoming a Computational Linguist through constant consideration. To be successful in my desired career path, studying computer programming and linguistics, developing problem solving skills and creativity to come up with a new device are crucial.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment