Sunday, May 31, 2015

Edward Yom/ Qualified?/ Tues 5~6

     My dream job is to become an acupuncturist. At first glance, for a student who is majoring in translation and interpretation to become an acupuncturist would be very difficult. However, I am almost qualified to become an acupuncturist. Although I have to pursue another education in the oriental field for around six years, I meet the necessary requirements to become an acupuncturist like communicating effectively with people and finding a job

 

     To begin, I possess the necessary requirements to communicate effectively with my patients. First, I have enhanced communication skills learned through translation and interpretation which requires the knowledge of conveying a similar message in many different ways depending on the target audience. I am also able to speak fluently in both English and Korean giving me the option to treat foreign patients effectively. Next, I have a passion for working with people. Being an extrovert who is interested in psychology, I enjoy talking to people and I want to aid them. I feel pleasure in helping somebody overcome their hardships. When I become an acupuncturist, I will meet people who are not in their prime condition because they are sick. Five years ago, I decided to become an acupuncturist after I saw one of my dad's patients. There was a chubby woman with short brown hair and orange glasses dragging her right leg while limping with her left leg with a frown on their face moving an inch at a time. After she received treatment for two weeks, her face brightened and she was able to walk properly. Finally, I am able to understand people well. Judging by a person's gait and facial expression, I can make a fairly accurate educated guess on what is bothering them. Usually, the patients will just say their stomach hurts. From there, I am usually able to tell if it hurts because they have an upset stomach, if they are suffering from enteritis, or if it is caused by a different virus.  

 

     I am slightly behind when it comes to certification requirements. I will have to spend at least six years in attaining a a doctor of medicine degree. Most acupuncture programs require students to have an additional bachelor's degree. Different schools have different requirements thus may accept a variety of degrees in different fields including translation. I may get lucky and they may accept my degree in translation and interpretation. However, I may have to undergo extra studying. In addition to that, I have to pass the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine exam to become certified and recognized as a licensed acupuncturist. It is crucial to go through this procedure since it is required to pass the test is necessary to practice acupuncture and oriental medicine legally. This procedure may take a long time, but I am at an advantage over other students in Korea. I do not have to do military service since I have an American citizenship. Usually the military service takes a littles less than two years, but because the time of the military and school collide, most of the students takes two years and a semester off. 

 

     The remaining advantage I have is that I do not have to worry about getting a job. My dad own's a hospital, and I am planning on inheriting it when I become an acupuncturist. Our family on my dad's side has been working in the medical field for four generations. My great grandfather is a doctor, my grandfather is an oriental doctor, my dad is also an oriental doctor, and my uncles are a psychiatrists and chiropractic therapists. I will work at the hospital that my dad owns with the skills learned from my grandfather. If I get a license for it, my uncles said they would be happy to teach what they know. Most of the patients in my dad's hospital do not live near, and came all the way to receive treatment from him. It would be difficult to build this sort of relationship and credibility right away. However, I think this process would be easier than those who start from scratch. 

 

     Although I may seem far behind just looking at the education I have left, I am actually qualified thanks to my background, and my major. Through the studies I have accomplished so far, I am able to understand the problems my clients may be having, help my clients understand their current situation, and build an intimate relationship with my clients. In addition, I have a guaranteed future where I can further better myself easily learning the information that my family had to work to understand. Overall, I think I am qualified for my dream job.

No comments:

Post a Comment