Tuesday, June 2, 2015

SeungHyun Kang/Qualified?/Tues 5,6

Qualified?

             It is very ironic to see many Korean companies require an experienced worker among their job applicants who just freshly graduated from universities. However contradicting their demands are, many people work hard to make themselves qualified for their jobs through attending conferences or working part time. As I am studying English at the HUFS in the time when language area is avoided, my job future is not likely to be bright. Things get worse as I have not yet decided what to do in the future. For now, I am not qualified for any job from the general perspective. I do not have certain level of language ability, not experienced nor passionate.

             Obviously, language majored applicants should have certain level of language ability; speaking, reading, and writing. To prove their ability, applicants used to take tests like TOEIC or TOEFL. The problem is that nowadays, almost all applicants get perfect scores. Accordingly, the means of requiring test scores, filtering people who have low scores, became meaningless. So, job applicants now seek different routes to prove their language skills. They earn degrees from foreign graduate schools or go study abroad for several years. I am a sophomore and haven't done anything above. I do not have high test scores and haven't gone to study abroad yet.

Companies want an experienced worker. This led to students working part time on global seminars, events as an interpreter or translator. Experienced worker means an applicant with a lot of qualifications. These major related activities are very helpful on showing their language abilities more than test scores. It is the same as what students did to go to good universities. Furthermore, some really intensively prepared applicants go on to work for an internship. This adds a line on their application form. For me, I haven't got certain experiences to write on my application form. This is the second reason that I am not qualified for any job.

Being a passionate worker, appeals to most job interviewers. However, for I do not have a dream job, I cannot be as passionate as they are. Some companies may want a passive worker but generally, companies don't. Not being passionate is a problem in a job place. If a worker is passive and does the job given to one with not much focus or interest, job efficiency drops. So, companies do not want to pick a worker with no heart to work hard for the companies' good.

I am a sophomore now but my graduation day will come faster than I expected. I do not have time to waste. However, the biggest problem of not having a dream job or dream hinders me from doing anything. For now I am focusing on searching for what I want to do and what I like. Society was much more intense and competitive than I thought.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment